I do not believe that Broccoli gets the respect other vegetables do. That is about to change. This salad will make a believer of people that only eat a small piece from the buffet table during the office party and only because there in not much else “keto” available. Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds could very well become a new favorite so …try it, you may just love it.
This lightly dressed, chilled broccoli salad is great for picnics, potlucks,(we still have potlucks don’t we?) and other casual get-togethers. The mayonnaise-free dressing adds a boost of bright flavor thanks to the fresh lemon juice and zest, while the crisp-tender broccoli and pumpkin seeds add a satisfying crunch. We’ll let the bacon speak for itself.
I make this salad as a complete mid-day lite lunch as it is very filling.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 228
- Fat: 17.3g
- Carbohydrates: 4.6g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 13.9g
- ¾ c. full-fat, non-flavored Greek yogurt
- small pinch Stevia
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. fresh lemon zest
- Himalayan Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Broccoli Salad:
- ½ small red onion, outer skin removed and cut into thin slices
- 2 large heads fresh broccoli, tough stems removed, rinsed, and broken into florets
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- ¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped
- Himalayan Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ⅓ c. toasted pumpkin seeds, unsalted
- To make the dressing, combine the Greek yogurt, stevia, lemon juice, and zest in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Add the broccoli florets to a large, microwave-safe dish and add 2-3 T. water. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, or until florets are crisp tender. (Check after 3 minutes and adjust cooking times accordingly).
- Remove from microwave and drain excess liquid. Set aside, uncovered, and allow steamed florets to cool.
- In a large glass or other non-reactive bowl, combine the red onion, broccoli, crumbled bacon, and fresh parsley. Toss gently to combine. Top with ½ Greek yogurt dressing and toss again until ingredients are thoroughly coated. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight before serving. Cover and reserve remaining dressing, as well.
- Toss chilled salad with remaining dressing right before serving, or serve on the side for those who prefer a little extra dressing. Sprinkle with the toasted pumpkin seeds right before serving to keep them crunchy.
Chefs Tip: To my friends that do not like Stevia, there is honey however 1 tablespoon of honey contains up to 17 grams of carbs, or approximately 4¼ grams per serving. This could take you out of ketosis but it is an option for those that do not follow the ketogenic lifestyle.
If you have the time, make this recipe the night before. The extra time will allow the flavors to blend more thoroughly.
If you have not yet joined our Facebook group I invite you join now. You can get more information Right Here It is called Keto Paleo Power Combo For Weight Loss. If you have friends that are keto or paleo, please invite them to come along, there larger our group grows, the more ideas and support we can offer each other. I would love to have you and them join our family of Whole Food Low-Carb Enthusiasts..
You can follow me on Instagram #KetoKool #YourKetoChef #YourWholeFoodsChef
Laugh Often, Enjoy Good Friends, Share the Love