Hearty Lentil Soup
Today we are going to start with a Hearty Lentil Soup. This is a soup that can be enjoyed all year, Up north when it is freezing cold, soup is almost a must have. We here in Mexico will also enjoy a soup starter course with our meals even when it is in the low 80’s as it is now. Lentil Soup is one of our favorites that we serve often.
- 2 cups brown lentils, picked through, rinsed.
- 10 cups water or a hearty home made broth such as chicken or vegetable.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 or 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion, diced fine
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced fine
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and diced
- 2 Large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- Sea Salt and Freshly ground white pepper to taste
- ½ cup freshly chopped cilantro or parsley
- Put the lentils into a large soup pot and add the broth or water.Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile. heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the onion, garlic, potato, celery and carrots for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Add the tomatoes and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the lentils and continue to cook for an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked but not soft and mushy.
- For a creamy soup, remove about two cups of the soup and blend in a blender or food processor and then return the purée to the soup.
- Just before serving add the freshly chopped cilantro or parsley.
Serve with a nice tossed salad for a healthy Whole Foods Lunch or lite Dinner. Eating healthy Whole Food based meals is that easy.
Todays Spotlite is on Lentils. Do you know that Lentils can be traced back to the time of Jacob and his sons. They are an excellent source of protein, Frolic acid, vitamins B and C as well as iron and planty of fiber. The health benefits are many and they are fast and easy to prepare.
Note, The above recipe will give you enough soup so that you can freeze some in a plastic freezer bag to have ready on those cold winter days when you just want to have a great cup of soup to warm your bones.