With Winter in full force in parts of the world this Keto-Friendly Sausage Soup with Peppers and Spinach can be a complete meal that will warm your bones and give you that nice overall feeling that you will make it through the winter to spring.
This delicious sausage soup doesn’t need to simmer for hours to develop great flavor. Thanks to a satisfying combination of spicy Poblano pepper, classic herbs, and an interesting blend of spices, this soup delivers lots of fantastic flavor in just over half an hour.
Sausage making is one of those hobbies that some chefs have but if it is not your thing, you can find gluten-free, low carb sausage in some health food stores. Better yet, if you happen to have a sausage maker in your area, you can always order exactly what you want from beef to pork to turkey sausage and most of them will be happen to make it. I tend to drift to the turkey sausage myself and the patties are very easy to make.
This Keto-Friendly Sausage Soup with Peppers is great as a hearty appetizer or as a satisfying light meal when paired with a green salad. As an added bonus, it tastes even better as leftovers for lunch the next day!
- Serves: 6
- Carbohydrates: 3.9
- Fiber: 1.3
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. pork sausage (gluten Free)
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 medium Poblano pepper, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 t. dried basil
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. dried rosemary
- 1½ t. chili powder
- 1 t. ground cumin
- ½ t. ground cinnamon (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 c. organic sugar-free chicken stock
- 2 c. baby spinach
- 1 c. Cheddar Jack cheese, shredded
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is no longer pink inside, approximately 5 minutes. As the sausage cooks, if using bulk sausage break it into small pieces with a wooden spoon. If using links, cut them into bite size pieces in advance of cooking.
- Add the red and Poblano pepper, celery, basil, oregano, rosemary, chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon to the pot. Generously season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies have softened, around 5-6 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach and cook for another 3-4 minutes, or just until the spinach wilts.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately, topped with shredded Cheddar Jack cheese. Enjoy!
This is a recipe that is easy to make and only has a net 2.6 carbs per serving. Any leftovers also taste great after you come in from shoveling the show.
For the next couple of days you can grab 13 keto friendly ecookbooks are a small part of the 2018 Keto Bundle There are 30+ ebooks, 14 weekly meal plans, 39 keto summit recording plus exclusive interviews and more so if healthy food and weight loss is part of your 2018 goals, take a look before this offer is gone. Just click on the blue area for more information.
And yes, I will continue sharing my ketogenic lifestyle with you right here on this blog. It will include many of the recipes we enjoy in our house, tips where to buy some of the harder to find items you might want to find, and articles about the Whole Foods lifestyle, healthy living, a little about aging gracefully and enjoying life a little more in the coming year. I hope to see you here often.
Eat Healthily, Laugh Often, Enjoy Good Friends