This is a great Keto Bacon Cheddar Breakfast Casserole family breakfast or if you have guests staying over as is often the case here in Puerto Vallarta. Actually, it is not bad for a nice light dinner if you want to make a one dish meal. Don’t tell anyone but we snuck in some broccoli without saying anything in the title. I actually like broccoli and it is a big part of most peoples food bank if they are following a ketogenic lifestyle. Broccoli is super healthy for you if you can buy it fresh, like from a farmer that grew it. Click To Tweet That is one of the reasons I am always shopping at farmers markets. Cooking with whatever produce is in season is a great choice but does take a little planning. If you can not buy real fresh then flash frozen is the next best option.The stuff that is sitting in the bins at your local supermarket was probably harvested a few weeks ago and has lost any nutritional value it had. If you can find a little spot where you can grow your own you will be surprised at how great the flavor of fresh picked produce is over store bought.
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 249
- Fat: 19.3g
- Carbohydrates: 4.9g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 13.8g
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 T. avocado oil
- 3 c. broccoli florets
- 3 T. water
- 1 c. sharp cheddar or Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 large eggs
- ½ c. heavy cream
- ½ t. onion powder
- ½ t. garlic powder
- ¼ t. dried thyme
- ½ t. dried oregano
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and spray an 8” x 8” casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. (or you would rub it with farm fresh butter if you were me) Set aside.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Add the broccoli and water and cook for 2-3 minutes, or just until the broccoli softens slightly and turns bright green.
- Remove from heat and transfer broccoli to prepared casserole dish and spread into a uniform layer. Top with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon and side aside.
- Whisk the eggs with the heavy cream, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, and oregano. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Pour the egg mixture over the broccoli, cheddar, and bacon and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the casserole is set and lightly golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy!
I am not sure when I decided that I like broccoli, I think it was when a former president of the United States said he would never eat it. Or maybe it was sometime early in my cooking career when I discovered that if you put enough farm fresh butter on vegetables they all taste great. Now I use it it salads, soups, and many other dishes.
Chefs Note: Please do not overcook the broccoli, it should be al dente, still having a little snap to it. Remember it is still going into the oven so it will be cooking more before it is served.
As for the bacon, I recommend heritage-breed pork which I purchase from ButcherBox and get it delivered right to my door. It’s uncured natural bacon not shot full of extra chemicals. I feel better knowing that.
Nutritional information provided can very depending on the size of the broccoli and bacon
Today’s Parting Thought: You don’t have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces, just good food from fresh ingredients. – Julie Child
Laugh Often, Enjoy Good Friends, Share the Love