Free Range chicken is a staple in our house and these Keto Mozzarella Chicken Thighs are one that we make often. Mainly because there is much more flavor in chicken thighs that is our choice but it can be made with chicken breasts as well. Of course, if you are following a Paleo lifestyle, just leave off the mozzarella cheese and you will till have a great tasting meal. Keto and Paleo are so much alike that it is pretty easy to adjust many recipes just by adding or subtracting one or two items.
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 498
- Fat: 28.2g
- Carbohydrates: 4.6g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 55.4g
- 3 T. avocado oil, divided
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1½ T. Italian seasoning, divided
- Himalayan Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 T. unsalted Farm fresh butter
- ¼ c. chicken broth, preferably organic
- ½ c. multi-colored cherry tomatoes, quartered*
- 8 oz. fresh Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- ½ t. red pepper flakes
- Optional garnish:
- Sprigs fresh basil (adds another layer of flavor)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon avocado oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat.
- Rub the chicken thighs with the remaining avocado oil and sprinkle both sides with Italian seasoning.
- Season with Himalayan salt and black pepper, to taste, and transfer to the hot skillet.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until the chicken develops a golden crust. Remove from heat and add butter, chicken broth, and cherry tomatoes.
- Top each chicken thigh with a slice of fresh Mozzarella cheese if cooking keto and sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes and the remaining Italian seasoning.
- Season with additional Himalayan salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Transfer skillet into pre-heated oven and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and the Mozzarella is melted. Remove from oven and allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes.
- To serve, top chicken with some pan sauce and fresh basil sprigs, if desired. Enjoy!
* Multi-colored tomatoes taste great but are also used for their visual effect. If not available, use tomatoes of your choice.
If you enjoyed this article please share it with a friend or two.
I have a keto/Paleo Facebook group and you are invited to join us where we can exchange ideas and answer questions about the keto and paleo foods and recipes. Just click HERE to join our family of Whole Food Low-Carb keto/paleo Enthusiasts on Facebook..
Today’s Parting Thought: Many people are scared of their own kitchen because they confuse unfamiliar with difficult….Michael Smith
Laugh Often, Enjoy Good Friends, Share the Love